Friday, May 18, 2007

Wood Times

Having a last name of "Wood" can lead to some funny things that you might not consider. My brother Nate was told every work day when he walked into the office "Morning Wood" by a co-worker, who never knew how funny it was.

I wanted to name our daughter "Leia" after the princess in Star Wars, but you just can NOT name a girl "Leia Wood", it's just awful.

"Tucker" was on our list of names for our son, but uncle John pointed out that "Tuck Wood" is a deal killer.

I told a co-worker the last two dilemmas of naming our kids, and he said, "yeah, that would be like naming your son Richard! DICK WOOD! HA HA HA."

Richard is my Dad's name, and is affectionately called Dick by family and friends.

Our beach cabin on Whidbey Island is called the Drift Wood Inn... Very clever by Grandpa Amos who named the cabin in 1977. The little cabin next door is now known as the Famous Amos Hideaway, and was built by my great grandfather in 1930. Ironically both cabins are made out of wood. (ok, that was dumb, give me a break)

My bro's family blog is called "Wood Times", and my family blog is an obvious rip off called "Woody Times".

I was called Woody by friends in college so often that many friends I considered close had NO idea what me real name was. One asked me once how I got the name "Woody" and I said my last name was "Wood" and he looked at me blankly and said "Woody Wood"? Man, dumb people make the world so much more entertaining.

Speaking of dumb people, a guy named Rick in my fraternity called me "Balsa" becuase I "was soft".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.