Monday, May 21, 2007

Happy 30 Darth

Star Wars turns 30 this year, which must mean I turn a little more than 30. I thought my family had the biggest star wars fans that I knew of. The movies always opened on my older bro's birthday, on May 25th and mom took us out of school for the openings of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I have to say though that buddy "Bo" is the only person I know, other than maybe George Lucas, who has been to the openings of all SIX star wars movies, PLUS the re-releases of IV, V, and VI. Just exceptional work. This anniversary is a good reminder that these films were and are a HUGE deal to many people.

In celebration of turning 30, people are doing some pretty cool things:

A hot air balloon in the shape of Darth Vader's helmet takes off on its maiden flight during a hot air balloon festival in Ceroux, Belgium, May 17, 2007. (AP)


The US Postal Service has created an entire line of R2D2 Mail Boxes. There is one up the street from me, and it's awesome. Though it doesn't really look like a mail box and I suspect that it's not used very much. The USPS has also made this celebration legit by creating a line of stamps, and obviously the web site USPSJediMaster.com.

No comments: