Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Day of the EXTREMELY FUNNY and Oppressed Husband

The night of stand-up comedy went exceptionally well. Follwing the advice of my comic partner, The Other Guy in a Black Shirt, I went the "edgy" route with my routine; meaning I bagged on my kids, dog, and life as a family man, which is EXTREMELY FUNNY if you know how happy I am with my kids, dog, and life as a family man. The "you're a prick" text message I got from my wife when she read the script I left at home was totally in jest I'm sure.

You can see some pictures of the Wood Dog Family at the Seattle Comedy Underground on my family blog, by clicking.............
HERE.

An amazing thing happened the other night at Tonic in SF. It was trivia night, and one set of questions was to identify the names of famous people in various untitled pictures. I was playing on a team of four heterosexual males, and we could not properly identify Heather Graham from a nude picture of her. Three of the four of us were confessed HG fans too. The distraction was her boobs. The picture was phenomenal, and her boobs must have had the power of the Men In Black little memory flasher device. We are all staring at her, saying things like "I know her. Hell, I LOVE her. What the hell is her name?"

A good friend of mine, we'll call him Posh Beaver, read my post about figuring out the "Pick'em Guy's scam" and gave me crap, "Yes I think you REALLY ARE the last guy on the planet to figure that out." He then asked why the Those Aren't Pillows Blog was on sabbatical, and I told him it was the writers' strike. Posh responded, "REALLY???" ... and I'm the idiot?

So the Monkey League Fantasy Football Draft 2008 has been set. 5:00 PM Saturday, August 23rd, in Las Vegas. It’s really genius. I think all of my buddies, even those tied down with wives, kids, mortgages, and dogs, should be able to make this. YOU HAVE NINE MONTHS. FIGURE IT OUT.

That weekend in Vegas with my friends will be like the Mexican holiday El Día del Marido Oprimido, or the “Day of the Oppressed Husband”. On this one day, for 23.5 hours, husbands have the freedom to do as they wish ... within the scope of Mexican law and their religious faith of course. It is one of the most loved days of the Mari Gras celebration, traditionally on the Monday before Fat Tuesday, and features a bunch of drunk Mexican family men burning sh$% and throwing eggs. I'm not sure we could get away with that here in the states, but woudn't it be funny? Maybe I should put the suggestion in my stand-up routine next year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please send me a copy of your script, if such a script exists.