Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dog Tales

Yesterday my 3-year-old daughter asked me "Daddy? Did you have dinner with your little tennis buddies last night?" I never felt so uncool, and at the hands of a 3-year-old.




And YES, damn it, we did have dinner. We couldn't get an indoor court for tennis, but still met for tacos and beer. It was a surprisingly fun time, without the tennis. Me and my little tennis buddies.

The Wookiepedia entry for Matthew Wood refers to a guy who just might be my pretend alter ego. Except that I sound NOTHING like General Grievious.

What? You don't know about Wookiepedia?

I consider myself an excellent microwaver. I have the uncanny ability to pretty much nail the amount of time needed to reheat a plate of food. Reheat a full plate of Chinese takeout? 1:20. KUNG FU HYAH!

My Grandmother still refers to a street in Seattle as "Enterprise" even though it was renamed "Martin Luther King Jr." about 20 years ago. She is certainly not anti-MLK, as she has absolutely zero bigotry in her blood; amazing considering she grew up in Selma, Alabama in the early part of the century. I do think that it is just habitual that she calls the street "Enterprise" and not "MLK". Or maybe she is just really pro-Star Trek.

I was walking my dog Barkley yesterday, in a DOG ON LEASH zoned area of a local park, and was properly abiding by the rules. Then along came this over-weight mangy mutty looking dog with this crazy look in his eyes. About 50 feet behind, this hippie couple was following. They looked like they hadn't showered in a few weeks, and hadn't cut her hair in years or his beard in months. I guess they could also be described as over-weight mangy and mutty themselves. So they called their crazy looking dog back, who was obviously trouble, and tried to steer him around Barkley and me, then said "NO DIABLO!" when he started to bark and mess with Barkley. I tried to alleviate the tense situation by saying something like "Diablo? Well this isn't good!" And they just stared at me with these evil hippie eyes like I had insulted their baby. Now I don't want to judge, but just because you are some crazy hippie couple, who sleeps with your dog, and your probably take your annual communal hippie shower with your dog, doesn't mean you don't have to ABIDE BY THE DOG GAMNED LEASH RULES.

OK, I got that out of my system.

No comments: