Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dare to dream

With two weeks left in the regular season I have “locked up” last place in my NFL pick’em league per our insane league commissioner. My Swan Kick was to incorrectly pick 10 of 14 games last weekend, and I now have a commanding 15 pick lead over my nearest competitor. I am a perfect 0-6 on Thursday games, and near perfect when picking on the road in bad weather. In a 90 person league, this type of lead is almost statistically impossible. I don't think I'm even on the probability bell curve any more.

I was driving around the other day, wallowing in my 38% pick’em accuracy misery, when I heard a commercial for one of those expert sports betting picker guys. He was GUARANTEEING a lock for that week if I just called him, and the lock was free... no strings attached. If I liked his pick, I could call him back to get his COMPLETE LIST for a nominal fee. only if I wanted to. I felt like a recovering alcoholic and Jenny Craig client walking by dollar beer and taco night at the Roanoak. I thought about it. What would ONE pick hurt? I have a 15 pick lead for last place. Maybe that one pick would be the difference to win the Week 16 $150 pot and I could STILL take the overall last place money.

Just the fact that I can win a week and still take last place was starting to get my adrenaline going. I could do it, I could be the king. He seemed so nice on the radio too, and boasted an almost anti-Wood Dog 58% accuracy rate, and like 80% on his LOCKS OF THE WEEK. He seemed nothing like the BRD persona Gold Chain Wearing Fist Pounding LOCK OF THE WEEK guy that haunts my nightmares. Maybe I could just take his picks, win a week, take home some dough and then just win last place by a little less. Not a terrible idea, right?

NO! Not that I was really going to call the guy, but I can NOT think like that. Dead last in a pickem league? That's something I can brag to my kids about later in life.

The cryptic words said to Gold-5 during his last seconds of life as he attacked the Death Star echoed in my head "STAY ON TARGET". Like some magic Jedi A-A Sponsor telling me to fight the craving. STAY ON TARGET. I have to finish what I have started this season. I will NOT CHEAPEN IT. Though I might have to turn off my proverbial targeting computer for these last two weeks to make it through.

(Oh, and I picked St. Louis + 9.5 for this week's Thursday game. Bet the farm... on Pittsburgh. )


STAY ON TARGET

No comments: